Tanita balances have been discontinued in the UK, we have only a few remaining, then there are no more.
Suitable for weighing gemstones.
Not a heavy table balance, not a tiny pocket balance, but easily portable in its own carrying case. By Tanita, they make the most reliable and sturdy balances.
Although diamonds are usually weighed to the nearest 0.001g and not 0.002g, this scale is it does seem to be very stable (consistent), giving quite definite readings down to 10pts (0.1ct) - that's better than most scales that 'read' down to 0.001g but are simply not accurate!
Of course, for large stones (most gemstones) this is perfect.
Guarantee, one year.
To read an article about weighing and weighing machines click here.
This weighing machine is not approved for use in trade, it must not be used for buying and selling. For approved scales click here.
Large backlit display, built-in spirit level, adjustable feet, calibration weight, large scoop, sturdy folding lid (dust shield), adjustable brightness, adjustable auto-cut-off.
RESOLUTION / CAPACITY: 100g / 0.002g , 500ct / 10pts.
Also switchable to ounces (oz), Troy ounces (ozT), pennyweight (dwt), carat (ct), grains (gn) and tola (tl).
- grams, metric. Today everyone weighs gold in grams. But dealers tend to weigh silver in Troy ounces.
- Troy ounce (ozT) for gold and silver (and was once used for letters and parcels)
- ounce (some say, 'English' ounce, correct term is 'Avoirdupois' ounce) for food
- Pennyweight (dwt), pre-decimal system, still used in USA
- Carat (ct) for gemstones and diamonds, not to be confused with carat as gold purity).
- Grains, originally used for weighing gold (based on a grain of wheat), today used for weighing powder for ammunition or catalysts
Scale 7 X 7 X 3 inches (180 X 180 X 80mm)
Scoop (rather than a fixed weighing platform, it has a removable scoop) 80mm across X 20mm deep (that will take an awful lot of gemstones!)
carrying case 8 X 10 X 4 inches (200 X 250 X 100mm)
POWER: four AAA batteries
CALIBRATION: 100g weight included.Click here
for a summary of weights used for weighing gold and silver Click here
for an online conversion program
This scale is guaranteed for 1 year.The guarantee excludes:
- flat batteries. New batteries will be charged at £5.00 plus £6.50 for return postage (UK).
- if you lose the battery compartment cover (sorry, we don't have spares)The guarantee is invalid if there is:
- obvious damage, e.g. dents, holes, cracked casing, weighing platform loose.
- signs of 'foreign material'. That's anything that should not be there, e.g. residues of herbs, chemicals, spilt tea, corrosion from leaking batteries.CALIBRATION
This weighing machine is not approved for use in trade and should not be used for buying and selling on a value-for-weight basis.
To see legal (approved for use in trade) balances click here.