CHRISTMAS DELIVERY TIMES - UK
FOR OUR STANDARD DELIVERY SERVICE
Our last 'official' posting date for Christmas is Wednesday 19 December.
Royal Mail say that the last day is Thursday 20 December.
We will be sending post on Thursday 20 December and it will probably arrive in time for Christmas. - but Wednesday 19 December is safer.
FOR OUR NEXT DAY DELIVERY SERVICE
Our last 'official' posting date for Christmas is Thursday 20 December.
Royal Mail say that the last day is Friday 21 December. But Thursday 20 December is safer.
On Friday 21 December:
- we will not be sending chemicals (e.g. testing-acids)
- we will be closing at 2pm so please place your order before midday
- if you order online please ensure you are available by phone or email in case we need to contact you.
LAST POSTING DATES - INTERNATIONAL
Download a complete list of countries (Royal Mail) click here.
- standard Airmail between 4 and 18 December.
- economy (surface), please ignore this column, we don't use this service.
This is for Royal Mail, they take parcels up to 2Kg, that covers most orders we send.
If the order weighs over 2Kg we will contact you with a price (we use UPS) - they can deliver very quickly...at a price.
Next day delivery
Next Day postage costs, on average. £10.00.
Dispatch is the same working day, providing payment is received by 4pm Monday to Thursday, or midday on a Friday. To see if there are any delays this week click here.
Items sent by Royal Mail are delivered by 1pm the next day including Saturdays (later for the Highlands and Islands). We email you the tracking number.
Items sent by the courier UPS are delivered by 5pm the next working day (can be as late as 6pm just before Christmas or if the driver gets very lost). UPS keep you informed by email (or you can download their app.)
If any item is out of stock we will telephone you; if we don't have your number (or if there is no reply) we will email instead. If we can't reach you by telephone or by email there will be a delay. We do try our best to contact you if there is a problem so that we can sort it out and get the parcel to you the next day.
Postage charge varies from £2.00 to £11.00 depending on the weight. Most orders cost less than £5.00.
For this service we say, "3 to 5 Day Delivery" but it's sometimes quicker, sometimes not so quick. Most items are sent in one working day and most items arrive one day later. However, this is not a guaranteed service and some items do take a full five days to arrive.
Royal Mail (for most orders) deliver Monday to Saturday, and in December there are Sunday deliveries too; they do not deliver on bank holidays. UPS deliver Monday to Friday only, excluding bank holidays.
Included in the service:
- if an item is out of stock, it will automatically follow a few days later (if the delay is more than a few days we will contact you)
- you can give us (when you place the order) special delivery instructions, e.g. "If no reply, leave at No.21"
- confirmation of delivery for Recorded items is available on the internet so that you can see who signed for the parcel (useful for businesses and large households).
- there are many re-delivery / collection options if you are not in when the postman calls, including (for Recorded and Special Delivery items) re-arranging delivery online. Details of all the services are on the card the postman leaves,
Not included in the service:
- the postman will not deliver to another address (except for a neighbour) if you are not in
- the postman will not telephone you
- the postman will not deliver at a time of your choice, he will deliver the goods along with your normal post
- if the value is more than nominal we add Recorded Delivery to the service. This requires a signature, items cannot be put through the letterbox or left unattended. If you know (when you place the order) that there will be nobody available to sign for the item, tell us which neighbour you would like the postman to deliver to.
We have spent many hours studying hundreds of pages of charts of postage rates from different carriers, and there are always idiosyncrasies.
Just very occasionally we notice that a price doesn't make sense, and we will upgrade the service you have requested. For instance, if your order is heavy and you have requested 3-5 Day Delivery (Royal Mail) and the order just happens to fit into a small box, and we just happen to be processing it in good time for the courier, then we will upgrade it to Next Day (cheaper for us, faster delivery for you).
The computer is programmed with dozens of zones and weight bands.
The only way to know the delivery time (and cost of postage) is to add the items to the Shopping Basket (Cart) and see what the computer suggests (you will be given a choice of posting methods). You don't have to complete the order, you do not have to pay, we will not ask you for money.